Reporting to the Director, Operations, the Deck Superintendent will manage the day to day marine operations in accordance with company policies and procedures as well as government regulations and customer expectations. These responsibilities include personal and operational safety and environmental protection.
The key responsibility of the Deck Superintendent is to provide frontline management for the vessels assigned to them. This role will include but is not limited to the following:
- Maintain the safe and efficient operation of all deck and navigation related functions.
- Conduct vessel visits and inspections, ensuring vessels are maintained and comply with all relevant standards.
- Liaison with the Sales/Traffic department to identify customer service requirements.
- Monitor and ensures compliance with fleet plan objectives.
- Prepare, monitor and control budget.
- Development of fleet standards related to crew cost optimization.
- Input into vessel crewing and training requirements.
- Perform Performance Appraisals for Captains, Chief Officers and review Performance Appraisals for Deck Officers.
- Participate as a member of Marine Emergency Response / Hot Line after hours support.
- Liaise with external authorities including flag, class and port state regulatory bodies.
- Provide on-call support to the fleet.
Skills, Abilities and Experience:
- 5 years of marine experience with responsibilities consistent with this position.
- A Chief Mate, unlimited Certificate of Competency or higher is required.
- High degree of creativity and initiative exhibiting strong troubleshooting skills.
- Strong organization, good judgment, reliability and attention to detail competencies.
- A team player and client focused attitude is a requirement.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Operational knowledge of the Great Lakes and Coastal shipping would be an advantage.
- Valid passport and driver’s license
- Extensive travel and field work will be required which will include carrying out duties consistent with the position outside normal business hours.
- No travel restrictions
If you are interested in this rewarding career, please send your resume directly to email@example.com. Please include “Deck Superintendent, Operations” in the subject line of your email.
Algoma Central Corporation encourages applications from designated group members identified under the Federal Employment Equity Act. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in Canada without sponsorship from Algoma.