We understand that starting a new chapter in a foreign country can be both exciting and overwhelming, and we are here to provide you with some of the necessary knowledge and tools to help you settle into your new life in Canada.

Explore the topics below to find insights on immigration processes, required qualifications, education opportunities, and more. We hope this section will serve as a valuable resource to ensure a smooth transition into your new career. Please note that Algoma operates in various jurisdictions with different laws and regulations, so the certifications and qualifications required to work on our vessels may vary from country to country.

Our Process for Foreign Applicants

We can only assist in recognizing seafarer certificates from countries that Transport Canada has a reciprocal agreement with.
To be considered for employment with Algoma, the applicant must be eligible to work in Canada and able to enter the U.S as a crew member. If you are not a permanent resident, you should have a valid work permit. Therefore, anyone that does not have a Canadian passport, must obtain a C1/D VISA for entry to the U.S. Learn more about the C1/D VISA here
Click here to learn how to obtain a Transport Canada Discharge Book (CDN number).
Once you complete an interview, and if we determine that we wish to proceed with hiring, then we start the recognition process.
Once confirmed, Transport Canada will send a provisional certificate. This is valid for 3 months and only on that specific vessel. Once the full certificate arrives, then you can work on any vessel.

Requesting a Canadian Endorsement for Recognizing Foreign Certificates through Reciprocal Arrangements

Since 2019, Transport Canada has allowed foreign seafarers with a valid STCW certificate, sponsored by a Canadian authorized representative, to apply for a Canadian endorsement. This endorsement attests to Canada’s recognition of their certificates, enabling them to serve on board a Canadian flagged vessel.

Transport Canada has signed reciprocal arrangements with the following countries to accept and recognize their STCW certificates:

  • Australia
  • France
  • Georgia
  • Norway
  • Republic of the Philippines
  • United Kingdom
  • Ukraine

Documents needed for Application

To apply for a Canadian endorsement, please download and follow the instructions provided in the following Transport Canada forms:


Send your completed application and all supporting documents through one of the following methods:


Mail: Transport Canada, Seafarer Certification (AMSP) Place de Ville, Tower C, 330 Sparks Street Ottawa, ON K1A 0N5

Click the link below to learn more: