Reporting to the Director, Environment, the Environmental Specialist is responsible for assisting with the implementation and maintenance of environmental compliance and improvement programs as well as promoting and supporting environmental best practices and procedures throughout the company.
- Provide support and advice to Operations/Quality department personnel, shipboard crews and other internal users on company and fleet environmental policies, practices and procedures.
- Work collaboratively with others in the organization to develop, implement and monitor environmental improvement projects, including Green Marine initiatives.
- Maintain ISO 14001 elements of the company’s Integrated Management System, including the environmental aspects/impacts inventory and legal & other requirements register.
- Monitor marine environmental legislation and best practice for required changes to company operations and procedures.
- Develop environmental notices and other communications to shipboard crews as needed.
- Conduct environmental audits on board company vessels.
- Prepare, maintain and analyze environmental inventories, and track performance against company KPIs.
- Prepare regulatory submissions and maintain environmental permits.
- Assist in development or delivery of environmental training programs.
- Provide input to the company’s sustainability reporting initiatives.
Skills, Abilities and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Sciences or related field.
- Five or more years’ experience in a related position.
- Sound knowledge of management systems (ISM / ISO 14001) with an emphasis on environmental or EH&S.
- Knowledge of marine environmental legislation preferred.
- Knowledge of industry vetting requirements (i.e. OCIMF) in regards to environmental matters preferred.
- Previous experience with management systems implementation or auditing preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Effective communication skills (verbal and written).
- Excellent organization, planning and prioritization skills.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Sound judgment
- A creative, inquiring and logical mind.
- Ability to effectively develop and implement change.
- Strong project management skills and sound judgement.
- Valid passport and driver’s license with no travel restrictions.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in a rewarding career, please send your resume directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Specialist – Environmental” in the subject line of your email. This is a permanent full-time position in our St. Catharines office.
Algoma Central Corporation encourages applications from designated group members identified under the Federal Employment Equity Act. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in Canada without sponsorship from Algoma.