Manager – Technical Services
St. Catharines, Ontario
Friday, April 26, 2019
The Manager, Technical Services provides support specific to structural inspections and reporting. This position provides naval architect services for the fleet and for the Operations – Technical department.
• Performs and arranges surveys related to intermediate special surveys, special surveys and dry-dockings and assists with execution and supervision to ensure work is conducted in a safe, efficient, and cost effective manner.
• Surveys significant vessel damages and oversees damage repairs as required.
• Provides input to fleet plan by working closely with the Director, Technical & Purchasing.
• Develops standards and specifications related to hull repairs to maintain structural integrity of the fleet.
• Provides input to annual budgets based on surveys.
• Provides technical assistance and advice in the area of naval architecture, hull repairs, drawing and equipment approval as requested.
• Maintains relationships with Transport Canada, Classification, steel repair contractors and other stakeholders.
• Provides loading and stability expertise to fleet Captains and officers.
• Maintains adequate professional development by attending seminars, trade exhibitions and management courses as they relate to the position.
• Researches and analyzes various technical suppliers for modifications, conversions, refits, etc.
• Conducts self-unloading system surveys to ensure systems are maintained in accordance with company standards and to identify short and long term maintenance requirements.
Skills, Abilities and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Naval Architecture or Marine Engineering.
• Five or more years’ experience in a related position.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
• Familiarity with Cargomax, Autoship, GHS, LPSBulk, AutoCAD or other naval architecture/ship loading software.
• Effective communication skills (verbal and written).
• Ability to remain calm under pressure and to meet deadlines and prioritize tasks.
• Self-motivated and able to work both independently and in a team environment.
• A creative, enquiring and logical mind, capable of identifying and resolving problems in a timely manner.
• Valid passport and driver’s license.
• No travel restrictions.
Working within a professional office environment, with longer hours on occasion and infrequent travel within Ontario.
How to Apply:
Interested in this opportunity? Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and apply today! Please include the title of the position in the subject of your e-mail.
Algoma Central Corporation encourages applications from designated group members identified under the Federal Employment Equity Act. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in Canada without sponsorship from Algoma.