Manager, Chartering and Business Development
Fort Lauderdale, FL (with extensive travel)
Friday, November 25, 2022
Job Summary:Algoma Management Services Limited, a subsidiary of Algoma Central Corporation is looking for a high performing Chartering & Business Development Manager, possessing the right combination of technical sales skill, business acumen, and analytical ability. The position is responsible for marine related market research, strategy definition, marketing activity, proposal management, securing final contract with customers, and account management. This person understands and supports long-term organizational strategic goals, builds key customer relationships, identifies business opportunities, negotiates and closes business deals and maintains extensive knowledge of current market conditions including and not limited to technology, Competitors, existing Customers and regulation in the industry and Governments.
Your Marine Carrier of Choice. What we carry is more than just cargo; we carry essential goods that become a part of our everyday lives. We move cargo that feeds us, keeps our roads safe, helps to build our communities and moves us forward. Marine transportation is the most sustainable mode of
transportation and we take pride in being able to move your cargo not only efficiently but also safely and reliably.
This position is located in our Fort Lauderdale, Florida office and reports to the Director, Chartering and Business Development.
- Develops, builds and promotes strong relationships with clients, brokers, agents, owners and charterers on a world-wide basis.
- Continuously evaluates market conditions including gathering market intelligence and identifying market trends and opportunities.
- Calculates and prices shipping deals
- Negotiates chartering terms consistent with internal standards and market conditions.
- Provides input into strategies on Charter Party terms development, developing and evaluating strategies on contract of affreightment to meet vessel requirements.
- Coordinates with operations to ensure the relevant charter party terms and conditions and/or voyage specifics are understood by operations for the accuracy and timing of instructions to both chartered in vessels and company relets.
- New business identification, shaping/ development, account management, and capture.
- Coordinates with Finance Department on variance analysis and reporting.
- Closely follows and analyzes voyage performance, working closely with operations and updating internal stakeholders and Executives as required.
- Utilizes business systems to improve commercial performance.
- Professionally promotes and represents Algoma at marine and related industry events.
- Works with the Commercial team and other departments to promote successful outcomes.
Skills, Abilities and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Business or equivalent – MBA is an asset.
- Applicants should have at three years of chartering experience.
- Extensive product and market knowledge
- Be self-motivated and independent, but able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Have a commercial mindset combined with good interpersonal skills.
- Business minded with strong analytical skills, with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent organization, planning and prioritization skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills and strong decision-making abilities.
- Confidentiality, discretion and diplomacy on all business matters.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, is required.
- Able to travel internationally.
Closing Date: December 9, 2022If you are interested in this rewarding career, please send your resume directly to email@example.com. Please include “Chartering & Business Development Management” in the subject line of your email.
How to Apply:
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship from Algoma.