The IT Security Specialist manages the Cyber Security Risk Management program to strengthen the cyber security posture of the corporation, protecting our computer-based business and operational systems, devices and data from cyber threats.
Duties and responsibilities
The IT Security Specialist has the focus and advanced technical skills to manage Algoma’s cyber security practices according to a formal Cyber Security Risk Management program. Key responsibilities of this position include working with each business functional area to maintain understanding of our shipboard and shore office connected environment and our security vulnerabilities based on the ongoing and emerging cyber threat landscape and awareness of industry-specific factors.
- Works under the direction of the Director, Business Systems
- Manages the Cyber Security Risk Management program core functions:
- Develop an organizational understanding to manage cyber security risk to systems, people, assets, data and capabilities.
- Develop and implement appropriate safeguards to ensure delivery of critical services.
- Develop and implement appropriate activities to identify the occurrence of a cyber-security event.
- Develop and implement appropriate activities to take action regarding a detected cyber security incident.
- Develop and implement appropriate activities to maintain plans for resilience and to restore any capabilities or services that were impaired due to a cyber-security incident.
- Understands and documents the business environment, IT and OT-connected systems, network infrastructure, physical and software assets to be supported, their services and potential vulnerabilities.
- Maintains current knowledge of ongoing and emerging cyber threats, relevant technology solutions, security expert services and resources.
- Organizes and conducts the Cyber Security Audit
- Understands and addresses applicable regulatory and cyber-security insurance requirements.
- Is proactive in identifying areas for improvement and making recommendations in the cyber security practices to meet changing security landscape.
- Communicates cyber security observations, changes in assets, vulnerabilities and threats to management.
- Creates and maintains related cyber security documentation.
- Manages employee cyber security awareness training program.
- Extends cyber security requirements to business partners, third-party suppliers, contractors and customers.
- Provides budget information to Director, Business Systems
- Post-secondary education with a concentration in Computer Science or Information Technology
- Recognized Professional Security Certification (CISSP or CISM)
- A minimum of 10 years progressive experience in information security, including 5 years of experience with computer and network security administration
- Deal with risk management and IT project management
- Expertise in technology infrastructure, directory services, distributed security architectures and security system management
- Experience with Microsoft 365, Windows, Microsoft Server, MS SQL server, network protocols
- Effective verbal and written communication skills maintaining good working relationships with shipboard and shore personnel, as well as 3rd party service providers, suppliers and contractors.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong analytic skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Self-motivated, able to work in a team environment and balance the needs of a number of individuals and the team.
- Adept at identifying and resolving problems in a timely manner.
- Valid passport and driver’s license, with no travel restrictions
- Operates in an open office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment.
- Requires ability to travel on occasion.
- Requires routine after hour and weekend work.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this rewarding career, please send your resume directly to email@example.com. Please include “IT Security Specialist” in the subject line of your email.
Algoma Central Corporation encourages applications from designated group members identified under the Federal Employment Equity Act. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in Canada without sponsorship from Algoma.