This position is unionized. Wages and benefits will be paid as per union agreement.
Reporting directly to the Master, the Chief Mate is responsible for the application of the Company Quality, Health & Safety, and Environmental Policies in all aspects of deck operations and maintenance. The Chief Mate is responsible for the navigation of the vessel, overseeing loading and unloading of cargo, supervising activities of the deck crew, and other duties not carried out by the Captain.
- Chief Mate Certificate issued by Transport Canada
- Specialized Oil Tanker Training Endorsement
- Radio Operator’s License (or GOC)
- Certificate of Proficiency for Vessel Personnel with Security Responsibilities
- Great Lakes Pilotage Authority (GLPA) certificate holder (preferred)
- Canadian passport or permanent residence status
- MED training with respect to STCW Basic Safety
- MED training with respect to proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats
- MED in advanced fire fighting
- Marine Medical
Skills, Abilities and Experience
- Minimum 2 years recent experience
- Experience with Safety Management Systems
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excel in analyzing and adjusting work procedures for maximum efficiency
- Knowledge of English language is required
Algoma Central Corporation encourages application from designated group members identified under the Federal Employment Equity Act. We wish to thank all applicants in advance, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply by email to email@example.com and include “Chief Mate” in the subject line of your email.
Salary: $710.96 per day