Reporting to the Director, Engineering, the Engineering Superintendent will manage the day to day engineering and technical operations in accordance with company policies and procedures as well as government regulations and customer expectations. These responsibilities include personal and operational safety and environmental protection.
As the frontline management representative, the key responsibilities of the Engineering Superintendent for the vessels assigned to them will include but is not limited to the following:
- Direct support and oversight of the maintenance and repair.
- Budget preparation, monitoring and control for vessels.
- Safe and efficient operation of all engineering related functions on board vessels.
- Continuous operation of vessels, eliminating downtime due to breakdown.
- Undertaking vessel visits and inspection, ensuring vessels are maintained to comply with any and all relevant standards.
- Liaison with external authorities Flag, Class and Port State regulatory bodies.
- Monitor vessel efficiency and environmental performance.
- Monitoring Planned Maintenance (PMS) for execution of work.
- Prepare and supervise dry-docking and related surveys and inspections.
- Arrange and manage shore side contractors.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with fleet plan objectives.
- Input into vessel crewing and training requirements.
- Member of the Emergency Response support team.
- Perform Performance Appraisals for Chief Engineers and review Performance Appraisals for Engineering Officers.
- Review the Shipboard Safety Management Committee Meeting minutes.
- Provide on-call support to the fleet.
- Chief Engineer certificate of competency is preferred.
- Dry Bulk both gearless and self-unloader experience is preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with responsibilities consistent with this position
- Operational knowledge of the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Seaway system is a definite asset
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent organization, planning and prioritization skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- High degree of creativity and initiative exhibiting strong troubleshooting skills
- Valid passport and driver’s license
- Extensive travel and field work will be required which will include carrying out duties consistent with the position outside normal business hours.
- No travel restrictions
If you are interested in this rewarding career, please send your resume directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Engineering Superintendent, Technical Operations” in the subject line of your email.
Algoma Central Corporation encourages applications from designated group members identified under the Federal Employment Equity Act. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in Canada without sponsorship from Algoma.