We have an immediate opening for an Engineering Superintendent in our Dry Bulk Fleet. The successful incumbent will manage the day to day engineering and technical operations in accordance with company policies and procedures as well as government regulations and customer expectations. These responsibilities include personal and operational safety and environmental protection.
Key Responsibilities:As the frontline management representative, the key responsibilities of the Engineering Superintendent for the vessels assigned to them will include but is not limited to the following:
- Direct support and oversight of the maintenance and repair.
- Budget preparation, monitoring and control for vessels.
- Safe and efficient operation of all engineering related functions on board vessels.
- Continuous operation of vessels, eliminating downtime due to breakdown.
- Undertaking vessel visits and inspection, ensuring vessels are maintained to comply with any and all relevant standards.
- Liaison with external authorities Flag, Class and Port State regulatory bodies.
- Monitor vessel efficiency and environmental performance.
- Monitoring Planned Maintenance (PMS) for execution of work.
- Prepare and supervise dry-docking and related surveys and inspections.
- Arrange and manage shore side contractors.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with fleet plan objectives.
- Liaison with the Sales/Traffic department to identify customer service requirements.
- Input into vessel crewing and training requirements.
- Member of the Emergency Response support team.
- Perform Performance Appraisals for Chief Engineers and review Performance Appraisals for Engineering Officers.
- Review the Shipboard Safety Management Committee Meeting minutes.
- Provide on-call support to the fleet.
Skills, Abilities and Experience:Candidates must have a minimum of 8 years of marine experience with responsibilities consistent with this position. A Chief Engineers Certificate of Competency is required. Dry Bulk both gearless and self unloader experience is preferred. The candidate must have a high degree of creativity and initiative exhibiting strong troubleshooting skills. The candidate must also have strong organization, good judgement, reliability and attention to detail competencies. A team player and client focused attitude is a requirement. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and proficiency in using computerized applications is essential. Operational knowledge of the Great Lakes and Coastal shipping would be an advantage. Extensive travel and field work will be required which will include carrying out duties consistent with the position outside normal business hours. The candidate must be able to travel without restriction globally.
If you are interested in a rewarding career, please send your resume to email@example.com. Please include “Engineering Superintendent” in the subject line of your email. This is a full-time permanent position in our St. Catharines office.Algoma Central Corporation encourages applications from designated group members identified under the Federal Employment Equity Act. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in Canada without sponsorship from Algoma.