We have an immediate opening for a Deck Superintendent. Reporting to the Director, Operations the Deck Superintendent will manage a number of Algoma’s domestic bulk carriers and provide technical support to the organization’s fleets of vessels.
Key Responsibilities:The key responsibility of the Deck Superintendent is to provide frontline management for the vessels assigned to them. This role will include but is not limited to the following:
- Maintain the safe and efficient operation of all deck and navigation related functions.
- Conduct vessel visits and inspections, ensuring vessels are maintained and comply with all relevant standards.
- Monitor and ensures compliance with fleet plan objectives.
- Prepare, monitor and control budget.
- Development of fleet standards related to crew cost optimization.
- Participate as a member of Marine Emergency Response / Hot Line after hours support.
- Liaise with external authorities including flag, class and port state regulatory bodies.
The Deck Superintendent will be assisted in these efforts by the Fleet Personnel group, Technical Services group, Purchasing group, Quality Systems group and other individuals within Algoma but the frontline responsibility is theirs.
Skills, Abilities and Experience:Candidates must have a minimum of 8 years of marine experience with responsibilities consistent with this position. A Chief Mate, Near Coastal Certificate of Competency or higher is required. The candidate must have a high degree of creativity and initiative exhibiting strong troubleshooting skills. The candidate must also have strong organization, good judgement, reliability and attention to detail competencies. A team player and client focused attitude is a requirement. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and proficiency in using computerized applications is essential. Operational knowledge of the Great Lakes and Coastal shipping would be an advantage. Extensive travel and field work will be required which will include carrying out duties consistent with the position outside normal business hours. The candidate must be able to travel without restriction globally.
If you are interested in a rewarding career, please send your resume to email@example.com. Please include “Deck Superintendent” in the subject line of your email. This is a full-time permanent position in our St. Catharines office.Algoma Central Corporation encourages applications from designated group members identified under the Federal Employment Equity Act. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in Canada without sponsorship from Algoma.