We have an immediate opening for an Assistant Engineering Superintendent in our Dry Bulk Fleet. The successful incumbent will work in the Engineering Department supporting Engineering Superintendents and shipboard operations in accordance with company policies and procedures, as well as government regulations and customer expectations.
Key Responsibilities:The key responsibility of the Assistant Engineering Superintendent is to provide support to the Engineering Department. This role will include but is not limited to the following:
- Provide support for Engineering Superintendent’s administrative duties as assigned including, reviewing vessel delays and ship out of service events, processing occurrences, generating requisitions and budget monitoring of vessels.
- Provide a supporting role during overhaul and dry dock periods.
- Perform specific projects as assigned related to shipboard maintenance, system upgrades and productivity and efficiency improvements.
- Perform Superintendent responsibilities for a group of vessels when the Superintendent is unavailable including dealing with engineering related operational issues, oversight of maintenance and repair activities, arrangement and management of shore side contractors and various administrative and other functions necessary to support vessel operations.
- In addition to supporting Engineering Superintendents the Assistant may be required to support others in the Engineering Department.
- Provide on-call support to the fleet once deemed able.
Skills, Abilities and Experience:Candidates must have a minimum of 5 years marine experience with responsibilities consistent with this position. Post-secondary education in Marine Engineering and an Engineering Certificate of Competency is required. Dry Bulk, both gearless and self unloader experience is preferred. The candidate must have a high degree of creativity and initiative, exhibiting strong troubleshooting skills. Strong organization, good judgement, reliability and attention to detail competencies are required. The candidate will also need to be a team player and client focused. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and proficiency in using computerized applications is essential. An operational knowledge of Great Lakes and Coastal shipping is preferred. Extensive travel and field work will be required which will include carrying out duties consistent with the position outside normal business hours. The candidate must be able to travel without restriction globally.
Interested in the opportunity? Please send your resume to email@example.com and apply today! Please include the title of the position in the subject of your email.Algoma Central Corporation encourages applications from designated group members identified under the Federal Employment Equity Act. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in Canada without sponsorship from Algoma.