Algoma Central Corporation owns and operates the largest fleet of dry and liquid bulk carriers operating on the Great Lakes – St. Lawrence Waterway, including self-unloading dry-bulk carriers, gearless dry-bulk carriers and product tankers. Algoma also owns ocean self-unloading dry-bulk vessels operating in international markets and a 50% interest in NovaAlgoma, which includes a diversified portfolio of dry-bulk fleets operating internationally.
Our Vision is to become a Leader in the Shipment of Bulk Commodities
Algoma Central Corporation has an immediate opening for an Engineering Superintendent in our Tanker fleet. As the frontline management representative for the vessels assigned to them, the key responsibilities of the Engineering Superintendent include:
- Direct support to assigned vessels.
- Oversight of the maintenance and repair to assigned vessels.
- Budget preparation, monitoring and control for assigned vessels.
- Safe and efficient operation of all engineering related functions on board assigned vessels.
- Continuous operation of assigned vessels, eliminating downtime due to breakdown.
- Undertaking vessel visits and inspection, ensuring vessels are maintained to comply with any and all relevant standards.
- Liaison with external authorities Flag, Class and Port State regulatory bodies.
- Monitor vessel efficiency and environmental performance.
- Monitoring Planned Maintenance (PMS) for execution of work.
- Prepares and supervises dry-docking and related surveys and inspections.
- Arrangement and management of shore side contractors.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with fleet plan objectives.
- Liaison with the Sales/Traffic department to identify customer service requirements.
- Input into vessel crewing and training requirements.
- Projects and any other key responsibilities as required by the Marine Operations Manager.
- Member of Emergency Response support team.
- Perform Performance Appraisals for Chief Engineers and review Performance Appraisals for Engineering Officers.
- Reviewing the Shipboard Safety Management Committee Meeting minutes.
- Provides on-call support to the fleet.
Candidates must have a minimum of 10 years of marine experience with responsibilities consistent with this position. A Chief Engineers Certificate of Competency is a required. Tanker experience is preferred. Extensive travel and field work will be required which will include carrying out duties consistent with the position outside normal business hours. The candidate must be able to travel without restriction globally. The candidate must have a high degree of creativity and initiative exhibiting strong troubleshooting skills. The candidate must also have strong organization, good judgement, reliability and attention to detail competencies. The candidate will also need to be a team player and client focused. An operational knowledge of Great Lakes and Coastal shipping would be an advantage. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and proficiency in using computerized applications is essential.
If you are interested in a rewarding career with Algoma Central Corporation please send your application to email@example.com. Please include “Engineering Superintendent” in the subject line of your email.Algoma Central Corporation encourages applications from designated group members identified under the Federal Employment Equity Act. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in Canada without sponsorship from Algoma.